Oct 25, 2010

Guiding Hand

Many people want to be rich, but few choose to be wealthy.

I've read several books and articles that discussed the reasons why most people want to be rich. Most of the reasons presented were somehow related with each other and it boils down to our desire to be financially independent.

I, too, have this desire to be financially abundant, to be rich. I love the thought of doing the things I love to do and buying the things that I like to buy without the feeling of guilt or remorse due to financial constraints. A year ago, I was consumed by this desire that I was inspired to take out a loan and started a business because I read somewhere that business is where the money is.

As a matter of fact the business started without a hitch. I was able to obtain the business name and several government permits without any problem or delay, except the "pangkape" that the officer from the City Fire Department demanded from me before signing the Fire Safety document.

We launched the business. It took off majestically. And, with eager expectations, we waited for the downpour of money to start. We didn't have to wait that long. But instead of money, it was the business that came crashing down on us. The business took a nose-dive. It hit rock-bottom. Actually no, it hurtled down with such tremendous speed that it warped time and space and created a massive crater on impact with a depth of 1000 meters below rock-bottom. Now I'm buried in debt.

Lesson learned: Learn from the master.

I found consolation from the fact that I learned a valuable lesson from my first foray in the business world. In addition to that, I believe that I fared better than the disciples of Jesus who were masters or experts in their own field as fishermen yet still needed some tip or advise from Jesus on where to go fishing. Two events in the New Testament immediately come to mind right now:

Luke
Chapter 5:1-7
1 While the crowd was pressing in on Jesus and listening to the word of God, he was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret. 2 He saw two boats there alongside the lake; the fishermen had disembarked and were washing their nets. 3 Getting into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, he asked him to put out a short distance from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. 4 After he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch." 5 Simon said in reply, "Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets." 6 When they had done this, they caught a great number of fish and their nets were tearing. 7 They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come to help them. They came and filled both boats so that they were in danger of sinking.

John
Chapter 21:1-12

1 After this, Jesus revealed himself again to his disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. He revealed himself in this way. 2 Together were Simon Peter, Thomas called Didymus, Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, Zebedee's sons, 2 and two others of his disciples. 3 Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We also will come with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. 4 When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore; but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. 5 Jesus said to them, "Children, have you caught anything to eat?" They answered him, "No." 6 So he said to them, "Cast the net over the right side of the boat and you will find something." So they cast it, and were not able to pull it in because of the number of fish. 7 So the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord." When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he tucked in his garment, for he was lightly clad, and jumped into the sea. 8 The other disciples came in the boat, for they were not far from shore, only about a hundred yards, dragging the net with the fish. 9 When they climbed out on shore, they saw a charcoal fire with fish on it and bread. 10 Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish you just caught." 11 So Simon Peter went over and dragged the net ashore full of one hundred fifty-three 5 large fish. Even though there were so many, the net was not torn. 12 Jesus said to them, "Come, have breakfast." And none of the disciples dared to ask him, "Who are you?" because they realized it was the Lord.

You see, the disciples of Jesus were seasoned fishermen. They have the skills and knowledge about fishing. The problem is, they were fishing on the wrong side of the lake. It took The Master, Jesus, to show them where to fish and only then were they able to catch huge number of fishes.

I believe that I have the skills, knowledge and desire to really be financially abundant. All I need now is proper mentoring just like what Jesus did to His disciples by showing them where to fish.

I read Bro. Bo's several books dealing on this subject matter. The principles were clearly put and the ideas are straightforward. I tried applying them. However, it seems that I share the same attitude with that of the disciples. Just go to the sea, cast the nets and hope for a catch.

Several years ago I enrolled in a driving school. The part of the course I enjoyed most was the time when I was already behind the wheels applying the theories I learned in class with the instructor on my side gauging, evaluating and correcting the way I handled the car and the road conditions. After I graduated from the course, I drive not only with ease and confidence but always on cruise control. On my financial journey I need a master to show me the steps, evaluate my actions or performance and give recommendations to help me remain within the charted course until such time when I can simply put my financial portfolio on cruise control. This is the very reason why my wife and I wanted to be part of the mentoring of Bro. Bo Sanchez through the Truly Rich Club Bro. Bo has the experience, knowledge and strong spiritual guidance system to steer us towards the direction, not only of riches, but wealth as well.

My wife and I felt that there is a need for us to be wealthy, not only because we want to provide for our family, or to help other people, but because we know that we can, and it feels good. We are expanding beings. We can never become stagnant, so we might just as well choose to participate in the wondrous expansion of this universe.

God bless our desire to be wealthy. Peace!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truly indeed Jessie. Each and everyone needs the guidance of a mentor, a teacher, a sensie in order to truly understand and be in the right path. Often times when we have achieve knowledge and skill we think we already know the game....but in reality we should always be a student ready to learn not only form our mentors but also to our unexpected mentors in our lives...friends, families, strangers, and anyone who is ready to share what they have learn in the game called life