Oct 21, 2010

Crossing-Over

We attended The Feast in PICC where Bro. Alvin Barcelona talked about "Crossing Over" with reference to the passage in the Gospel of Mark 4:35-40,

35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." 

36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 
37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 
38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" 
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 
40 He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith

Bro. Alvin unraveled several beautiful messages of the aforementioned bible passage that are applicable in our present lives:
1. That our life is full of 'crossovers'. That is, we are on a journey;
2. That some crossovers are made through a storm. That means a journey through pain and difficulties or situations we consider as burdensome;
3. That amidst the storms in our journey, Jesus is always with us. We only have to call upon Him and allow Him to calm the storm of our lives. Jesus never
promised a storm-free journey. All he asked of us is to have an unwaivering faith in Him that He will see us through the journey and brings us safe to the shore;
4. That when we allow Jesus to calm the storm in our journey, it will not only benefit us but also the people journeying with us; members of our families, our friends, and people we come across. When the apostles called on Jesus to calm the storm, it benefited not only the boat where the apostles were but also the other boats sailing with them.

Every moment of our lives is a cross-over. Every second, minute, hour, day, month or year is a cross-over to the next. They are like segments in our lives but continuous, undivided and unbroken.

There are many situations in life that we consider as problems or undesirable. I, for one, have experienced some of these situations that caused pain, uneasiness, fear, irritation and anxiety in me. There is the fear, the anxiety that the perceived problem will over turn the boat that I'm in. Somehow, after going through the storm, I always find myself emerging from it alive and still in the boat.

Faith in Jesus. That's all it takes for us to find peace amidst the storm in our lives. I accept the fact that there are situations in my existence that are contrary to my expectations. However, I do believe that nothing happens in my life that escapes the notice of my Creator. Everything that occurs in my life happens for a good reason. They may appear negative to my shallow and limited understanding but they are wonderful and beautiful in the wider and greater scheme and perspective of the universe.

The Bible verse reminded me of a beautiful poem and song entitled "Footprints in the sand". Every time I read the poem or hear the song, I am reminded of Jesus' assurance that He is with me always. And I do believe Him.

"FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND"

One night I had a dream.
I dreamed I was walking along the beach
with the Lord..
And across the sky flashed scenes from my life..
and for each scene, I noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand,
one belonged to me, and the other to the Lord..

And after the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
And I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me,
so I asked the Lord about it:
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and the lowest times in my life
there was only one set of footprints.
And I don't understand why
when I needed you the most, you would leave me."

The Lord replied:
"My Son, My precious child, I love you and I would
never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you could see only one set of footprints, it was then
that I carried you."

Beautiful and true. Someday Jesus will hold me and make me understand my life as I have lived it. I love you Lord, Jesus. Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Storms, yup, they visit my life too.. . "With Christ in my vessel I will smile at the storm as we go sailing home."