Apr 6, 2012

The Feast


I am a reserved type of a person. 

I developed an attitude of being an observer first before a participant. 

Picture this: In a party where everyone is having a good time dancing, chatting and laughing the time away, I am seated at a table near the far end of the room, just observing. Lonely? Nope. But I can enjoy any party just by observing the people, place or the events as they unfold right before my eyes without the need of involving myself into dancing, singing or chatting.

But that’s just me. 


So it was not a surprise that I used exactly the same attitude in the practice of my Catholic faith.  It did not help that the type of Eucharistic Celebrations I was accustomed to while growing up were too formal. Solemn maybe, but they oftentimes encroach in the territory of monotony. 

The priests, usually, were aged. Their homilies were litanies of “what you should not be doing, otherwise you will be damned” kind of lines that were delivered with  threatening undertone at a sluggish pace that mimics a lullaby.  It is but understandable that a lot of people cannot resist dozing off during these homilies. 

What could be more confusing to the people than preaching the Catholic Dogma with highfaluting words that even the learned has difficulty finding it some practical application in the ordinary day to day life events? 

Then, one day came the Christian charismatic denomination in our Barangay. They introduced a different manner of worshipping God through an energetic and loud singing, dancing and praying. A lot of Catholics found it fascinating so they jumped ship and joined the Charismatic group. 

When I observed their manner of worshipping, I found it to be hilarious but not in a sense of mockery. Just imagining myself singing and dancing with my hands raised high gets my hairs stand on ends. It felt awkward and uncomfortable.

I admired them for their way of worshipping but I did not feel the urge to change my religion because of it.

When I got married, my wife invited me to attend the Feast in Camp Aguinaldo. It was my first time to attend such kind of Eucharistic celebration. The message in the homily was not the usual threat of damnation but that of forgiveness and salvation of my soul. 

After the mass, came the worship. My wife was eager with anticipation of something I still have no idea about. 

Then a person went up the stage and started the worship going. 

It suddenly dawned on me: 

My goodness, this is a charismatic worship! All the people were on their feet, joyfully singing along with the choir. 

I was at a loss on what to do, so I just sat there for a moment just observing. People all around me were dancing, singing and praying with their hands lifted up. 

Am I supposed to do that too? For what reason? Don’t I look foolish doing that? 

So I just did what I got used to do: sit and stand up. My hands? They were alternating from being folded to being clasped in front of me until the worship was over.

At the middle part of the worship, the worship leader introduced a certain preacher named Bro. Bo Sanchez

The crowd went wild. 

Their enthusiasm was electrifying. 

He seemed like a rock star. 

Then he started to talk. 

His words hit me like a breath of fresh air that swept through my preconceived notion of religious preachers. The subject matter of his talk was no different from all other talks I’ve heard before from priests and other preachers. 

So what's new?

The most fascinating fact about his talks that sets him apart from other preachers is that he views things at different angles than they are normally and usually viewed.  

After the Feast, I was a bit surprised that I, somehow, enjoyed the charismatic worship and I started to look forward to the next Feast. 

That was more than a decade ago.

The Feast has since moved its venue from Camp Aguinaldo, then to Valle Verde Country Club, and now at the PICC Plenary Hall.

All through these change of venue, we gladly followed and attended the Feast. 

There is something about Bro. Bo and his talks that make you want to come back for more.

His words can be found in the ordinary, day-to-day events of life that when he tells a  story of human struggle or victory, you, most of the time, say: "wow, that's me"

His advice is so elementary that you can take the word as it is and apply it to your life. His preaching is so simple to the extent that when you realize how really simple it is, you cannot believe that it could be that simple. 

He makes a firm conclusion but does not criticize different or even opposing opinions. 

His opinions are formed as a result of the mixture of facts and faith; firm but not exclusive.  

He is, indeed, a repository of wisdom and riches. 

Today, I am involved to some extent with the works of Bro. Bo. It is such a great blessing to be involved with his ministry. 

Attending the Feast is like watching a soap opera or tele novella. After watching one episode, you end up clamoring for more. You want to continue watching the whole story. You look forward to the next episode with bated breath, trying to imagine different scenarios of how the story will unfold.

Why is the Feast so addicting?

… because there is something about the energy of Bro. Bo that draws people near;
… because all kinds of people from all walks of life are welcome to attend;
… because Bro. Bo’s words come from his own personal experiences or from the experiences of people he knew and not from theories;
… because his teachings are practical that anybody can apply in their day-to-day life events;
… because the Feast is the happiest place on earth where attendees can sing, shout, laugh and cry their hearts out;
… because it is where the people received blessings in so many different ways;
... because it is where you find love, encouragement, forgiveness, acceptance, inspiration and empowerment;
… because it is where people who are burdened by problems and anxieties come out smiling;
… because it is where sinners find other sinners, hence, you do not feel out-of-place;
… because you feel great and energized just by attending;
… because there are thousands of great reasons which only you can discover when you attend.

As for me, the Feast is my extended family now. It is where I draw physical as well as spiritual nourishment. All thanks to my dear Sweetiepie for inviting me to attend.

The change that happened to me came from within at a gradual pace.  

Now, my mind and body are immersed with the joy of the moment every time I participate in the worship. My conscious mind is no longer in control whether I should sit, or stand, or raise my hands, or sing or close my eyes. They just happen spontaneously, and it felt good all the time.

Of course, there is no better way of understanding what I am saying than experiencing them yourself. I assure you, you will never be disappointed.



The venue of the Feast that I usually attend to every Sunday is at the Plenary Hall of PICC in Pasay City, along Roxas Boulevard. The 1st session starts @ 8:00 am, the 2nd session starts @ 10:30 am and the 3rd session starts @ 4:00 pm.

Note, however, that there are other Feast taking place in other places within and outside Metro Manila. Click here to find the nearest Feast near you.

No comments: