Aug 14, 2010

Hell Freezes Over

My mind was on autopilot browsing the internet when my 8-year old son asked me some questions.

“Dad, why did God allow His son to die on the cross? Why did Jesus not ‘kapooof’ himself and went straight to heaven before they had time to kill him?”

I was amazed. I had to lean back on my chair and pondered on the questions. The questions were so profound I could never have thought of them when I was his age. Then slowly and carefully I told him about the popular passage in the Bible, John 3:16, “For God so love the world that he gave us His only son so that whoever believes in Him may not perish but may have eternal life.” I added that God’s love for us is so great He didn’t mind allowing His son to die on the cross so that we will be saved from sin and join him in heaven. The same is true with Jesus. He loved us so much He chose to die on the cross so that we will be saved from sin and join Him in heaven one day too.

He nodded with approval and I somehow sensed that he had the answer to his questions but he just needed some validation.

Then he asked another question. “What if Jesus just ‘kapooofed’ to heaven before they had the chance to crucify Him?”

I replied, “Well, then all the people will be marching to hell. And you know what hell is like, right?”

He said, “Yes, it is the hottest place where bad people burn forever.”

My 6-year old daughter, who was overhearing our conversation all along, nonchalantly blurted out, “Then we’ll bring along with us an aircon (air conditioner).”

I went into a laughing frenzy. In today’s web lingo, I ROFL. Her words were priceless. She did not even bother to raise her gaze at us when she uttered those words. She was just engrossed in combing the hair of her pink pony toy, Pinky Pie. When I finally regained my composure, I realized that she had been watching me laugh with a puzzled look written all over her face. She was serious with her words.

I then explained to her that hell is not a physical place but a state of existence. A horrible and dreadful state of existence where there is the absence of love, joy, happiness and goodness. I was not sure if she understood my explanation but at least I gave her some idea she can go back to when she is ready to understand. Heck, I had a difficult time explaining to my 8-year old son the word “Realm” when he asked me for its meaning. And to think I have a bachelors degree in Philosophy.

How I love the wisdom of innocent children. Pure wisdom that flows from their own Well-Being.

No comments: